As a participant in ORPHE, you also are eligible for health, life and long-term care insurance, and educational or military leave. Also, you will be enrolled automatically in the Commonwealth of Virginia 457 Deferred Compensation Plan, which will allow you to further build retirement income.
Some of these benefits will continue into retirement. For more details, consult the Handbook for Participants in ORPHE Plan 1 and ORPHE Plan 2 .
As a participant in the ORPHE, you are eligible to supplement your retirement benefits by participating in the Commonwealth of Virginia 457 Deferred Compensation Plan and a 403(b) plan offered by your employer. If you enroll in one or both plans, you will receive one employer cash match per pay period equal to 50% of your contributions, not to exceed $20 per pay period. Saving through these tax-deferred plans allows you to maximize your retirement income. The Commonwealth of Virginia 457 Plan also offers after-tax Roth deferrals. Contributions are separate from ORPHE contributions, and you decide how to invest your money from a separate list of investment options.
As a new or rehired ORPHE participant, you will be enrolled automatically in the 457 Plan, unless you actively contribute to your employer's 403(b) plan. A pre-tax salary reduction of $20 per pay period, along with an employer cash match of $10 per pay period, will begin approximately 90 days from your hire date. You can enroll sooner online at www.varetire.org/457, or call 1-877-327-5261. You can also change your contribution amount at any time.
You are eligible to enroll in the state health insurance program upon employment. The program is administered by the Department of Human Resource Management (DHRM) and offers several plan options for you and select family members.
Basic Group Life Insurance
Generally, you are covered under the Basic Group Life Insurance Program upon employment. Your employer may pay your portion of the premiums.
Optional Group Life Insurance Benefit
You may purchase additional coverage for yourself through the Optional Group Life Insurance Program. You will pay the premiums through payroll deduction. If you elect this coverage, you also may cover a spouse or dependent children. Optional group life insurance provides benefits for natural and accidental death or dismemberment.
Insurance in Retirement
As a retired member of VRS, you may be eligible for the following insurance programs:
- Basic Group Life Insurance | View Eligibilty
Group Life Insurance Eligibilty
To be eligible for group life insurance coverage, if applicable to the employer, upon leaving employment, ORP participants must:
- Meet age and service requirements for reduced or unreduced retirement under the VRS plan (i.e., Plan 1, Plan 2 or Hybrid Retirement Plan) for which the employee would have been eligible, based on hire date, had the employee not elected ORP.
- Optional Group Life Insurance
- Health Insurance Credit | View Eligibilty
Health Insurance Credit Eligibilty
To be eligible for the health insurance credit upon leaving employment, ORP participants must:
- Have a minimum of 15 years of service, and
- Meet the age and service requirements for reduced or unreduced retirement under the VRS plan (i.e., Plan 1, Plan 2 or Hybrid Retirement Plan) for which the employee would have been eligible, based on hire date, had the employee not elected ORP.
- State Retiree Health Benefits Program
- Commonwealth of Virginia Voluntary Group Long-Term Care Insurance Program